Founder/Director Mike Davis is a man of great faith, proud husband to his wife since 2009 (Kertrina), proud father to his 2 sons (D’Andre and Malik). He hails from Augusta, GA where he graduated from Evans High School in 2001. Over 15 years, he attended 4 colleges before finally earning his Bachelor of Science in Business Management from Belhaven University in December 2015. His journey from a shy kid who lacked confidence to the face of 1 Body Outreach has been an interesting one.
Mike was cutting the back yard of his then, new home one Saturday morning during the summer of 2013 when he realized that it was time to make a difference by using everything he had gone through in life, even going back to his days growing up in Augusta, Georgia. Beyond his faith and his beautiful family, his passions are sports, writing and acting. His favorite bible passage is 1 Corinthians 12:12-26, where it reveals that although we are many members, we come together as 1 to form 1 Body. This theme is applicable as Mike was a young man with many gifts and many dreams, but often times got tired of hearing the message from familiar sources. There were people in his life that played a tremendous role in facilitating his growth such as coaches, his guidance counselor, to go along with countless others. Mike began to recount how he would not have graduated high school and had no desire to go to college without basketball being his driving force. He could not play if he we’re academically ineligible. He had to rely on the support of a village to get him back and forth to practice. Along the way, he became a great people person who found out that he had a knack for fundraising. This was necessary to get the shoes, sweat suits, gym bags, and everything else that teams required.
Mike’s always privately had a passion for writing. However, he never felt as though he was able to write about things that he was interested in. then in 2010, he accepted a small role in a stage play, only to have to fill in a major role unexpectedly. That fueled not only his passion for drama, but ignited an intense fire to write. He soon learned that this seemed to come extremely easy to him as this was yet another untapped gift that God had placed inside of him. This led to a memorable night where he stayed up until nearly 5am just writing without any real consciousness of what he was writing. After he stopped, he realized that he had basically written his first stage play. He began to spend countless nights waking up to visions of combining these passions to do what God has called him to do.
People who had knowledge to help him make this dream a reality began to become more prevalent in his life. A support group and eventually a Board of Directors were formed. Suddenly, something that sounded so far-fetched became a reality. On September 22, 2014, 1 Body Outreach, Inc. was officially active. And there has been no looking back…
Since being founded in 2014, 1 Body Outreach…
– 156 kids come through basketball program. 80 played on one of our 3 teams, 25 came summer camps.
– 28 have seen an improvement in grades as a result of a volunteer tutor. Every kid gets promoted to the next grade.
– The motto for this year is “TOGETHER”.
– The number 1 character trait developed is confidence and leadership.
– Approximately 50% of the kids involved cannot afford to participate without some form of sponsorship.
– Fed families with food drives and provided students with school supplies by partnering on supply drives.
– Partnered with local businesses to feed a family for Thankgiving/Christmas 2016 and 2017.
– Free summer drama workshop in a collaboration with Fresh Start CDC, and Impact Drama Ministries, to launch the original stage play, “I Love My Selfie”, which promoted self-worth and was in response to the prevalence of bullying.
– Has spent time speaking to youth in Orange, Seminole, and Volusia counties as invited via local mentoring agencies and residential facilities. This includes bringing sports and dance camps to any location necessary.
– Has presented, “1 Body the Stage Play” before nearly 200 youth between the ages of 12-18. A fourth of the cast is under is age 18 or younger.
– Summer 2016, partnered with the Oviedo Police Department to provide opportunities to have local youth spend quality time in relaxed settings with local law enforcement. This was designed to improve community relationships.
– Provided rewards incentives for youth that range from restaurant gift cards, to shoes. Very goal oriented and whatever we can do to engage a kid to pursue goals with their best effort, we are willing to do if we have the resources.